Auckland Girls' Grammar School has an outstanding sporting reputation spread throughout a variety of individual and team sports. We aim to promote participation and provide the opportunity for all AGGS girls to gain a positive experience from sport. Through sport we encourage the development of discipline, commitment, positive attitudes, skill acquisition and taking responsibility as a contributing member of a team. All students are encouraged to participate in at least one sport throughout the school year.
Judy Revell is our Director of Sports and Louise Conway is our Sports and Active Recreation Coordinator. Throughout the year, we are supported by an invaluable group of students, parents, coaches and staff who collectively make sport at AGGS what it is today.
Throughout the year there are many whole school events that the Sports Department are responsible for. The AGGS Athletics Day is one such event which includes all Yr 9 and Yr 10 students and is open to all other years. Each year this is a wonderful day of track and field with many competitors. The AGGS Swimming Sports and AGGS Cross Country are also events that come under the sports umbrella with the Cross Country again compulsory for Yr 9 and Yr 10 students. For details on this year's events please go to 'Whole School Events'. As all these events take place in Term 1 it's a busy start to the year for sports. Throughout the rest of the year the other events hosted by Sport include interclass competitions and Nationals Trips for various sporting codes throughout the country throughout the year.
AGGS reputation of producing elite athletes and high performance teams is something we pride ourselves on. In recent years we have won regional and/or national titles in a number of sports ranging from Athletics and Basketball to Rugby and Waka Ama.The sporting facilities within AGGS are constantly in use throughout the year, often there are so many teams training that surrounding facilities for specific sports are also needed to keep up with demand.
On-site facilities include:
- Outdoor grass area/Western Park (Full Lacrosse pitch size used for Lacrosse, Rugby, Touch, Football, Cross Country, Softball, Athletics, Kilikiti)
- Outdoor sand based Turf area (3 Netball courts size, used for Tennis, Hockey, Netball)
- Indoor small gym area (used for Gymnastics, Fitness)
- Full sized Gym (3/4 Netball & Basketball Court, used for Netball, Basketball, Fitness, Badminton and Volleyball) - Currently closed for renovations
- Outdoor concreted area sized to 3 netball courts (Netball)
- Outdoor Swimming Pool (Swimming, Dragon Boating)
- Outdoor Dive Pool (Diving)
- Indoor Fitness Centre (All sports fitness) - Currently closed for renovations